Dr. Lee Niel
Office: 2540 Stewart Building
I joined the Ontario Veterinary College in 2010, and my current research and teaching are focused on the behaviour and welfare of companion animals. I have a background in both applied animal behaviour and welfare and behavioural neuroscience, which allows me to use a suite of research tools (animal behaviour, molecular genetics, neurobiology) to conduct basic and applied research relating to the behaviour and welfare of cats and dogs. Key areas of interest include: 1) the development and application of novel methods for the identification and management of animal pain and stress, and 2) investigations into the underlying etiology for different forms of dog aggression in terms of genetics, neurobiology and interactions with the environment.
BSc - Simon Fraser University, PhD - University of British Columbia
- Novel methods for the assessment of animal pain and stress
- Effect of temperament on response to kennelling and veterinary treatment
- Effect of social relationships on animal well-being
- Palliative care and humane endpoints for veterinary patients
- Etiology and prevention of behaviour problems, particularly aggression
VETM*3410 Health Management II - companion animal behaviour and welfare components
Professional Experience & Honours
- Niel, L., Monks, D.A. Mouse Sex: Sexual Differentiation and Sexual Behaviour in Mus musculus. Handbook of Behavioral Genetics of the Mouse, Cambridge University Press, In press.
- Fernando, S.M., Rao, P., Niel, L., Chattergee, D., Stagljar, M., Monks, D.A. 2010. Myocyte androgen receptors increase metabolic rate and improve body composition by reducing fat mass. Endocrinology, 151: 3125-3132.
- Burkholder, T.H., Niel, L., Weed, J.L., Brinster, L., Bacher, J., and Foltz, C. 2010. Comparison of carbon dioxide and argon euthanasia: effects on behavior, heart rate and activity in rats. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, 49: 448-453.
- Niel, L., Shah, A.H., Lewis, G.A., Mo, K., Chattergee, D., Fernando, S.M., Hong, M.H., Chang, W.Y., Vollmayr, P., Rosen, J., Miner, J.N., Monks, D.A. 2009. Sexual differentiation of the spinal nucleus of the bulbocavernosus is not mediated solely by androgen receptors in muscle fibers. Endocrinology, 150: 3207-3213.
- Makowska, I.J., Niel, L., Kirkden, R.D., Weary, D.M. 2008. Rats show aversion to argon-induced hypoxia. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 114: 572-581.
- Kirkden, R.D., Niel, L., Lee, G., Pfaffinger, M.J., Makowska, I.J., and Weary, D.M. 2008. The validity of using an approach-avoidance test to measure the strength of aversion to carbon dioxide in rats. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 114: 216-234.
- Niel, L. and Weary, D.M. 2008. Effects of novelty on rat responses to carbon dioxide exposure. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 111: 183-194.
- Kirkden, R.D., Niel, L., Stewart, S.A., and Weary, D.M. 2008. Gas killing of rats: the effect of supplemental oxygen on aversion to carbon dioxide. Animal Welfare, 17:79-87.
- Niel, L., Stewart, S.A. and Weary, D.M. 2008. Effect of flow rate on aversion to gradual-fill carbon dioxide euthanasia in rats. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 109: 77-84.
- Niel, L., Willemsen, K., Volante, S. and Monks, D.A. 2007. Sexual dimorphism and androgen regulation of satellite cell population in differentiating rat levator ani muscle. Developmental Neurobiology, 68: 115-122.
- Richardson, C.A, Niel, L., Leach, M.C. and Flecknell, P.A. 2007. Evaluation of the efficacy of a novel electronic pain assessment device, the Pain Gauge?, for measuring post-operative pain in rats. Laboratory Animals, 41: 46-54.
- Niel, L. and Weary, D.M. 2007. Rats avoid exposure to carbon dioxide and argon. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 107: 100-109.
- Niel, L. and Weary, D.M. 2006. Behavioural responses of rats to gradual-fill carbon dioxide euthanasia and reduced oxygen concentrations. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 100: 295-308.
- Hawkins, P., Playle, L., Golledge, H., Leach, M., Banzett, R., Coenen, A., Cooper, J., Danneman, P., Flecknell, P., Kirkden, R., Niel, L. and Raj, M. 2006. Final Report of the Newcastle Consensus Meeting on Carbon Dioxide Euthanasia of Laboratory Animals. Available at: www.nc3rs.org.uk/downloaddoc.asp?id=416&page=292&skin=0
- Vickers, K., Niel, L., Kiehlbauch, L. and Weary, D.M. 2005. Calf response to caustic paste and hot iron dehorning using sedation with or without local anesthetic. Journal of Dairy Science, 88: 1454-1459.