Equine Sports Medicine & Reproduction Services (ESMRC)
The Equine Sports Medicine and Reproduction Centre is focused on the quality of life and health care of the equine athlete and/or breeding horse. Our board-certified specialists provide the highest level of care in equine sports medicine, lameness, imaging and reproduction, and focus on the needs of veterinarians, owners, riders, and trainers. Conveniently located on the OVC campus, the ESMRC is a separate facility from the main hospital and features a 70 x 140 ft. arena for complete work up of lameness and upper airway issues, a fully equipped diagnostic imaging suite including cardiac ultrasound with nearby access to MRI and CT, and available turn-out space for horses that stay for breeding purposes.
All veterinary specialists on our team are board-certified with a veterinary specialty organization and are referred to as Diplomates - for example a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) has earned the right to be called a specialist in veterinary surgery. Veterinarians wishing to become board certified must complete an internship followed by a residency program, meet specific training and caseload requirements, perform research and have published journal articles. This process is supervised by current Diplomates, ensuring consistency in training and adherence to high standards. Once the residency has been completed, the resident must pass a rigorous examination. Only then does the veterinarian earn the title of Diplomate.
Our team evaluating your horse is always led by faculty members (Diplomate) who have considerable training and experience in their specialty, as well as in-depth knowledge of competitive equestrian sports. These individuals also have international recognition for their expertise in their area of specialization.Our equine team may include other veterinarians (residents in specialty training and/or interns), a registered veterinary technician, sometimes a student veterinarian, and an agricultural assistant to directly look after the horse's needs.
How Can We Help You?
- Access to OVC board certified specialists
- Advanced therapies (IRAP, PRP, stem cell treatment, shock wave treatment, Tiludronate, etc.)
- Advanced reproductive diagnostic evaluation and services (ultrasound examination, fresh chilled or frozen semen artificial insemination, embryo transfer, fertility evaluation, pregnancy monitoring).
- Basic & advanced -in-depth lameness evaluations.
- Advanced cardiac assessment including radiotelemetry, Holter monitoring and echocardiography
- Case consultations for referring veterinarians.
- Dynamic respiratory endoscopy.
- Digital x-ray imaging, ultrasound, and access to CT/MRI, all overseen and interpreted by a Board Certified Veterinary Radiologist
- Neurological evaluation.
- Performance evaluation (onsite in the arena, treadmill or track-based).
- Prepurchase examination.
- Upper and lower respiratory assessment including dynamic endoscopy